Sunday, January 7, 2024

Bible Study Philippians 4: 10-23

 

A Commentary of the Book of Philippians

By Dr. Barry L. Jenkins

Text Used: Legacy Standard Bible

Bible Study Philippians 4: 10-23

Text:

God Will Fill Your Needs

10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived thinking about me; indeed, you were thinking about me before, but you lacked opportunity. 11 Not that I speak [a]from want, for I learned to be [b]content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in abundance; in any and all things I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13 I can do all things [c]through Him who strengthens me. 14 Nevertheless, you have done well to fellowship with me in my affliction.

15 And you yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the [d]first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church fellowshipped with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone. 16 For even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs. 17 Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek the fruit which increases to your account. 18 But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I have been filled, having received from Epaphroditus [e]what you have sent, [f]a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 19 And my God will fulfill [g]all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 Now to our God and Father be the glory [h]forever and ever. Amen.

21 Greet every [i]saint in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me greet you. 22 All the [j]saints greet you, especially those of Caesar’s household.

23 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.

Verse by verse commentary

Verse 10: “But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived thinking about me; indeed, you were thinking about me before, but you lacked opportunity.”

Approximately ten years had passed since the Philippians first gave a gift to Paul to help meet his personal needs when he was first in Thessalonica. Paul was aware of their desire to continue to help, but he realized, within God’s providence, that they had not had the “opportunity” to help. It is important to note that Paul did not want to appear to be rebuking the Philippians, so he added the words, “but you lacked opportunity.” Let us be as kind when dealing with fellow believers.


Verse 11: “Not that I speak from want, for I learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.”


The word translated “from want” means “according to.” The word translated “content” means “self sufficient.” This verse and the next two do not deny the reality of Paul’s need, but rather testify that he is content to live both in plenty and in want. May we be of the same mind. Our circumstances should not control our emotions. Paul spoke according to his circumstances and he was self-sufficient in them. 


Verse 12: “I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in abundance; in any and all things I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.”


This verse elaborates on the preceding one. Paul was speaking about the duality of his Christian walk. Sometimes, he was humbled with lack. At other times, he walked in abundance. Paul was moved by the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, not his lack or surplus.


Verse 13: “I can do all things [a]through Him who strengthens me.”


I have seen this verse used incorrectly more than once. I have seen it on fighters' trunks in the ring, under the eyes of a football player written in black, and quoted by people applying for job or purchasing a house. That is not what the verse means. The verse refers to Paul’s relying on Christ’s power and following His example, Paul is able to face all circumstances with contentment. He wants to impress the same lesson on his readers. This verse is about discipleship and following the Master, the Lord Jesus Christ. It is not about financial prosperity or being blessed with worldly goods.


Verse 14: “Nevertheless, you have done well to fellowship with me in my affliction.”


Paul elaborates a word of clarification in this verse so the Philippians would not think he was being unappreciative of their most recent gift, because of what he just wrote. To “fellowship” means to partner with. Paul knew he was in partnership with the Philippians for the furtherance of the gospel and he wanted them to know. 


Verse 15: “And you yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church fellowshipped with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone.”


Even before Paul left Macedonia, the Philippians were repeatedly generous to him. Paul was good in encouraging the faithful Philippians acknowledging their financial giving and support. May we do the same to others who have helped us.


Verse 16: “For even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs.”


Paul preached in Thessalonica for a few months, during his second missionary journey. Again, Paul is giving credit to the Philippians for their support even when Paul was not with them. They were a very giving group.


Verse 17-18: “Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek the fruit which increases to your account.  But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I have been filled, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God.”


The main cause of Paul’s rejoicing is not that his needs have been fully met. Rather he perceives that the Philippians’ gifts are an act of worship pleasing to God, and he knows that God will richly bless them in return. This is not support for the actions of many televangelists that demand money and promise God’s financial blessings in response. In this case, the gift had already been given and the assurance of God’s blessings were not an inducement for the gift. Paul is confirming that God is pleased with the gift and will respond according to His Mercy and Grace.


Verse 19: “And my God will fulfill all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.”


This refers to material and spiritual needs. The promise is for those who are in Christ Jesus. This was Paul’s affirmation of God’s intentions given under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. May we all rejoice that our God will meet our spiritual and physical needs. Notwithstanding the actions of prosperity preachers, this is not a verse to include private jets, mansions and luxury automobiles. They are not needed. If you want those, go earn them but not on the financial backs of gullible Christians that are in desperate circumstances.

Verse 20: “Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever. Amen.”


Specifically, this doxology is Paul’s praise in direct response to the great truth that God supplies all the needs of the saints. In a general sense, Paul is praising God for His Faithfulness and Goodness.


Verse 21: “Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me greet you.”


Greet not just those part of your specific community, but “every saint.” “Brothers” refers to both sexes, not just the men.


Verse 22: “All the saints greet you, especially those of Caesar’s household.”


This points to the corporate unity of all believers, within a single congregation and among local churches. “Caesar’s household” refers to servants who were believers, not the royal family. 


Verse 23: “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.”


This is a common conclusion in many of Paul’s letters. It states a confessional affirmation that underscores the preceding truths.


No comments:

Post a Comment