Tuesday, June 26, 2018

What is Scriptural Death Route Holiness? Part 5

Scriptural Death Route Holiness is about dying to self. This death is while progressive, it does reach a crisis point where death actually occurs. Carnal Traits are confessed and surrendered one by one, but the death blow against them all occurs at one time. When the fire falls, all carnality is destroyed! Just as the old hymn states, "I never will forget how the fire fell." Friend, has the fire fell for you? Read the words of L.S. Boardman that speak of dying to self:

Many of the old-time holiness people believed in the "death-route." As long a fifty years ago we remember hearing a man testify. He said: "I was born twice; I died once, and I expect to live forever."

Of the last three hymnals the Church of the Nazarene has published, the first of the three called GLORIOUS GOSPEL HYMNS was copyrighted in 1931, and contain the following hymn entitled, "Let Me Die."

O God, my heart doth long for Thee, Let me die, let me die;
Now set my soul at liberty, Let me die, let me die.
To all the trifling things of earth, They're now to me of little worth:
My Saviour calls, I must go forth, Let me die, let me die.
Thy slaying pow'r in me display, Let me die, let me die;
I must be dead from day to day, Let me die, let me die.
Unto the world and its applause, To all the customs, fashions, laws, Of these who hate the humble cross, Let me die, let me die.
O I must die to scoffs and jeers, Let me die, let me die;
I must be freed from slavish fears, Let me die, let me die.
So dead that no desire shall rise To pass for good, or great, or wise, In any but the Saviour's eyes! Let me die, let me die.
by Jeanette Palmiter

A. W. Tozer had this to say about the crucifixion of self: "We must do something about the cross, and there's only one of two things we can do -- flee it or die upon it!"

The modern churches, including some worldly holiness churches, no longer preach the death route. To take the death route is to commit to being crucified. As holiness people, we run to the cross and dare not flee. Reader, have you been to the cross and died?

No comments:

Post a Comment