Monday, May 10, 2021

Bible Salvation and Popular Religion Part 4: Compromising Preachers

COMPROMISING PREACHERS


Who is to blame for the shallow experience of many professing Christians? We reply, the men under whom they are professedly saved. If these deluded souls were taught the whole counsel of God by ministers and editors, they would see their unsaved condition, and spurious religion would not spread so rapidly. As it is, a vast multitude are made to believe a lie under the teachings of these men. Milk-and-water papers publish their testimonies; and thus this terrible delusion is spread far and near. Many of the holiness journals are laden with just such shuffling testimonies. We have read them until we are perfectly disgusted with such sham holiness. We ask, can one wonder at such hollow testimonies, when so many holiness (?) teachers are doing shoddy work? Like begets like. These men say they let the Holy Ghost show the people in regard to dress, Masonry and tobacco, etc. Now, if it is right to leave to the Holy Ghost the work of showing the people these sins, it is equally right to let the Holy Ghost preach pardon and holiness. Paul says, "I have not shunned to declare unto you the whole counsel of God." Both he and Peter did show the people in regard to pride in dress, and many other popular sins. So will every true ambassador of the Cross.


In exposing the compromising character of a certain holiness paper, the Rev. H. H. Hinman thus writes in the Cynosure: "Bro. _____, in his paper, _____, makes complaint against certain reformers who insist that the holiness teachers shall espouse their Special reforms, and declares that their work is to teach holiness and leave the application of its principles to every man's conscience. He says: 'Devotion of time and energy to these so-called reforms seems to be an attempt in the wrong direction, a good thing urged from an impracticable standpoint. God's order is first to get the man's heart right with Him. When this is done the old, outer life is sloughed off by the force of the new life inside, like old bark from a live hickory tree.'


"On this I remark: First, that Bro. _____ utterly discards his own theory. If he were to publish a religious paper which discussed general principles only, and never insisted on their application, it would be a singular paper indeed. No man ever did or ever could preach such a religion without becoming a laughing-stock to bad men and devils. The first article in the above-mentioned paper is a remonstrance against the sins of some who profess holiness. All through this and every other number he continually applies his principles to specific sins. The only exception is when the sin is popular and powerful. When, serpent-like, it has thrust itself into the house of the Lord, and entwines itself around His altar; when it cries as did the devils of old, 'Let us alone;' 'What have we to do with thee?' it is then that Bro. _____ would have us keep quiet, and trust to the expulsive power of Gospel grace.


"Second. The theory itself is utterly unreasonable and unScriptural. Confucius taught abstract moral purity. The doctrines of Buddha are replete with holy admonitions, but the practical result is abominable heathenism. Sixty years ago the Gospel was preached and holiness insisted on as clearly and fully as today, and yet holy men continued to use intoxicating drinks until their attention was called to the practice as a sin. Forty years ago it was in order for holy men to hold slaves. The great mass of the professed Christians were on the side of the oppressor. Judgment was turned away backward. It was 'he that departed from evil' who was declared unholy and profane. It was only by the faithful preaching of God's command to 'undo the heavy burdens; let the oppressed go free;' and 'break every yoke,' that the churches were brought to partial repentance.


"Third. From first to last the Scriptures teach just the opposite of the editor of the The Lord said to Isaiah, 'Cry aloud and spare not. Show my people their transgressions, and the house of Jacob their sins,' Isa. 58:1; and the whole chapter is an enumeration of the specific sins of those who professed to be a holy people. So all through the Prophets, the Evangelists, and the Epistles. ]Everywhere and always the holy men of old were rebukers of specific sins. Oh, that our modern Isaiah had the same holy boldness!


"Fourth. There is great need of just such preaching today. One of the leading holiness writers in this same number of the ____ makes himself disgusting to his brethren by the use of tobacco. Here in this city there are preachers of holiness who profess absolute heart purity, that advertise their Freemasonry in religious assemblies, and flaunt it in the faces of their brethren with an impudence that is unspeakable. When any seeks after real holiness, repents of this iniquity -- as some have done -- and humbly makes his confession, he is browbeaten, insulted, and, if possible, frightened into silence. 'They hate him that rebuketh in the gate, and they abhor him that speaketh uprightly.' Amos 5:10.


"Fifth. Silence in reference to prevalent and popular sins is practical complicity with them. This is especially true of those who have been involved in and have full knowledge of such iniquities. God required that the sin of secret and profane oaths should not only be confessed but exposed. Concealment is a sin. 'If a soul sin, and hear the voice of swearing, and is a witness, whether he hath seen or known of it, if he do not utter it, then he shall bear his iniquity.' Lev. 5: 1, also verses 4-13. I feel bound in Christian fidelity to rebuke this brother for this sin. He has, I believe, been in the lodge, has taken and heard its profane oaths, and joined in its unholy rites. He does not expose or rebuke its iniquities. He does not like to have others do so He once intimated to me that this was the work of the devil. He doubtless thinks that his Lodge covenant is binding. But hear the word of the Lord, 'Because ye have said we have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through it shall not come unto us, for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves. And the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.' Isa. 28:15-17."


The reason why these compromising preachers avoid the work of exposing the sins of the people, is because they are afraid of hurting the feelings of the people and of stirring the devil in those guilty of these practices. And in many cases, to expose these things would be to expose themselves. O! what such men need is a thorough work of salvation in their own souls. This would effectually cure them of daubing with untempered mortar. "Cursed be he that doeth the work of the Lord deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood."


The Apostles were radical reformers. They thoroughly opposed all sin. They rooted out; they pulled down; they destroyed; they threw down; they built; and they planted. See Jer. 1:10, 17, 19. They feared not to proclaim all that God commanded them. Evil-doers of all kinds were in league against them, but the mighty God continually gave them the victory. One says, "Apostolic preaching always acts like the broom in Pilgrim's Progress -- agitating and wonderfully stirring up the dust of sin. But daubing with untempered mortar packs down sin, and men become 'at ease in Zion.'"


Says Wesley: "But how terrible is this! when the ambassadors of God turn agents for the Devil! -- when they who are commissioned to teach men the way to heaven, do in fact teach the way to hell. If ever asked, 'why, who does this?' I answer, ten thousand wise and honorable men; even all of those, of whatever denomination, who encourage the proud, the trifler, the passionate, the lover of the world, the man of pleasure, the unjust or unkind, the easy, careless, harmless, useless creatures, the man who suffers no persecution for righteousness' sake, to imagine he is in the way to heaven. These are false prophets, in the highest sense of the word. These are traitors both to God and man. These are no other than the first-born of Satan; the eldest son of Apollyon, the destroyer. These are far above the rank of ordinary cut-throats; for they murder the souls of men. They are continually peopling the realms of night; and whenever they follow the poor souls they have destroyed, 'hell shall be moved from beneath to meet them at their coming.'"


Says Gath-Rimmon, "God have mercy on us, and cut short in righteousness this cringing, time-serving, mercenary race of editors and preachers, and send us a host of Boanerges, at the thunderings of whose voices sinners in Zion may be made to quake, and all the inhabitants of the land, from Dan to Beersheba, may be made to think they have been thunderstruck." Amen.


We fear that the condition of many preachers of the Gospel is illustrated in the following minister's dream:


I sat down in my arm-chair wearied with my work. My toil had been severe and protracted. Many were seeking the salvation of their souls, and many had found what they sought. The church wore an aspect of thrift; and prosperity and joy, and hope, and courage, were the prevailing sentiments on every hand. As for myself, I was joyous in my work; my brethren were united, my sermons and exhortations were evidently telling on my hearers; my church was crowded with listeners. The whole community was more or less moved with the prevailing excitement, and as the work went on I had been led into exhausting labors for its promotion.


Fired with my work, I soon lost myself in a half-forgetful state, though I seemed fully aware of my place and surroundings. Suddenly a stranger entered the room without preliminary "tap" or "come in." I saw in his face benignity and weight of character. But though he was passably well attired, he carried about his person measures, chemical agents, and instruments which gave him a very strange appearance.


The stranger came toward me, and extending his hand, said, "How is your Zeal?" I supposed when he began the question, the query was to be for my health, but was pleased to hear the final word; for I was quite well pleased with my zeal -- and doubted not the stranger would smile when he should know its proportions.


Instantly I conceived of it as a physical quantity; and putting my hand into my bosom brought it forth, and presented it to him for inspection. He took it, and placing it in his scales, weighed it carefully. I heard him say, "One hundred pounds." I could scarcely suppress an audible note of satisfaction. But I caught his earnest look as he noted down the weight, and saw at once that he had drawn no final conclusion; but was intent on pushing his investigations.


He broke the mass to atoms, put it in a crucible, and put the crucible in the fire. When the mass was thoroughly fused, he took it out and set it down to cool. It congealed in cooling, and when turned out on the hearth exhibited a series of layers, or strata, which all, at the touch of the hammer, fell apart, and were severally tested and weighed; the stranger making minute notes as the process went on. When he had finished, he presented the note to me, and gave me a look mingled with sorrow and compassion as without a word, except "May God save you,"' he left the room.


I opened the note and read as follows:


Analysis of the zeal of Junius, a candidate for a crown of glory.


"WEIGHT IN MASS, 100 POUNDS.


  Of this analysis there proves to be:


Bigotry  -- 10 parts


Personal Ambition -- 23 parts


Love Of Praise -- 19 parts


Pride Of Denomination -- 15 parts


Pride Of Talent -- 14 parts


Love Of Authority -- 12 parts


Love To God, Pure -- 4 parts


Love To Man -- 3 parts


I had become troubled at the peculiar manner of the stranger, and especially at his parting look and words; but when I looked at the figures, my heart sank as lead within me. I made a mental effort to dispute the correctness of the record, but I was suddenly started into a more honest mood, by an audible sigh, almost a groan, from the stranger (who had paused in the hall), and by a sudden darkness falling upon me, by which the record became at once obscured and almost illegible. I suddenly cried out, "Lord, save me," and knelt down at my chair, with the paper in my hands and my eyes fixed upon it. At once it became a mirror, and I saw my heart reflected in it. The record was true; I saw it, felt it, confessed it, deplored it, besought God to save me from myself with many tears; and at length with a loud and irrepressible cry of anguish I awoke. I had prayed in years gone by to be saved from a hell, but my cry now to be saved from myself was immeasurably more fervent and distressful.


Nor did I rest or pause until the refining fire came down and went through my heart, searching, probing, melting, burning, filling all the chambers with light, and hallowing up my whole heart to God. That light and that love are in my heart today; and when the trial and tears of my pilgrimage are at an end, I expect to kneel in heaven at the feet of the divine Alchemist and bless Him for the revelation of that day, that showed me where I stood, and turned my feet into a better path.


That day was the crisis of my history; and if there shall prove to have been in later years some depth and earnestness in my convictions, and searching and saving pungency in my words, I doubt not eternity will show their connection with the visit of this Searcher of hearts, at whose coming I was weighed in the balance and found wanting. -- Selected.


No comments:

Post a Comment