Friday, June 28, 2019

What is death to carnal self?

“Death to carnal self, simply means that all resistance to the total claims of Jesus Christ over our lives be removed from our hearts. Ours is not an atoning death, or a meritorious sacrifice, but a voluntary submitting to the total crucifixion of carnal, willful self, and the enthronement of Jesus Christ over every facet of our earthly existence.”

I cannot think of any reason a true believer would not want a total surrender to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Paul said he was crucified with Christ. Galatians 2:20 Being crucified meant you were helpless to do anything for yourself. You were in a place of death. I died a long time ago to the cares of the world and it’s pleasures. My goal is to live for Christ. Am I perfect? No, of course not. However, every day I desire to be more like Christ in all my thoughts, actions and objectives.

“The true Christian maintains daily an attitude of deadness to the world and everything in the world which is contrary to the Spirit of the Triune Godhead and the Holy Scriptures. From the beginning of Paul’s Christian life on the Damascus Road, to its conclusion by Caesar’s edict in Rome, he maintained: ‘...the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world’ (Galatians 6:14). The love of the world in the heart must be slain, or Christ will be constrained to depart. The worldly spirit and the Holy Spirit can never be reconciled.”

No comments:

Post a Comment