Thursday, October 29, 2020

What are the best helps to growth in grace?

"The best helps to growth in grace are the ill usage, the affronts, and the crosses which befall us." -- Wesley.


A greater than Wesley says: "For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and ETERNAL WEIGHT OF GLORY." Therefore, "If any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf."


Man may trouble and distress me,

'Twill but drive me to Thy breast;

Life with trials hard may press me,

Heaven will bring me sweeter rest.

Oh! 'tis not in grief to harm me

While Thy love is left to me

Oh! 'twere not in joy to charm me,

Were that joy unmixed with Thee.

--H. F. Lyte

BLJ: Thinking this way about troubles brought to us by others would really change your life. When others insult you, gossip about you, or try to injure you, you look upon their actions as your opportunity to grow in grace. It provides you the opportunity to be more Christ-like. 


No comments:

Post a Comment