Monday, January 11, 2021

Won the Argument And Lost Her Soul!

WON AN ARGUMENT AND LOST HER SOUL!
From "Out of the Night Into the Light"
By Paul Frederick Elliott
|
       One morning when we were getting ready to leave our home for the Springfield Camp it seemed like the Spirit held us at our family altar longer than usual. We made our train on time, and had to change trains at Cleveland, Ohio. When we were getting on the train, I said to Mrs. Elliott, "Let's take the chair car." "She said no, let's go into the coach that will be cheaper."
       I had stepped into the chair car and heard two women quarreling over a chair, but one beat the other out to a sad end, for we had not gone over thirty miles from Toledo, till our train left the track, running at about seventy miles an hour.  I had just gone down at the end of the coach to get a drink of water, I brought my wife a drink, she was reading a book called, "The First Night in Eternity." She looked up at me and said, "How many do you think would be ready to meet God if this train would be wrecked?" The sound of her words had not died away, till we WERE wrecked.
       Many were killed and bruised. I remember a man who was a drummer, and a woman who were playing cards, she had a good deal of fun about my reading the Bible, told her friend in an undertone, I was a preacher, and had laughed over it. She had on a diamond necklace, diamond rings, and no doubt was well blest with this world's goods, but she was fatally hurt in the wreck and began to call for the preacher and prayer. Her laughing was all over now. No one was laughing, they were dying now. She lost her diamonds, and worst of all she lost her soul. She said, "My God, preacher, pray for me I'm going to hell." Went out into the night without the light.
       Mrs. Elliott and I were sitting not far from where they were on the opposite side of the train. We were jarred and shook up, but not seriously hurt in any way. The woman that had her way about the chairwas the only one killed in the chair car. I saw them when they dug her out from under the wreck.
       It's a dangerous way to have your own way. God's ways are the best. When I got off and looked at the wreck I seemed to see an Angel standing on the coach we were riding in, and over His head was written in letters of gold, "The Angel of God encampeth round about them that fear Him and delivereth them."

No comments:

Post a Comment