Saturday, October 9, 2021

The Love of God Part 3

THE LOVE OF GOD IS IMPLANTED IN THE HEART ONLY BY THE HOLY GHOST:-- "And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us" (Romans 5:5). Note who it is that wrote this verse -- the beloved apostle Paul, formerly the bloody persecutor Saul. None of his theological studies of God's Word at the feet of Gamaliel had instilled one ounce of the true love of God into his heart! One can become the most erudite Bible scholar on earth, obtain the highest degree in theology possible, develop into the most polished pulpit orator over long decades of preaching, sway people's emotions with hurricane-like force, and become a renown evangelist known around the globe -- all to no avail, unless "the love of God has been shed abroad in his heart BY THE HOLY GHOST."


From personal experience, Saul of Tarsus transformed into Paul the Apostle, learned this, and thus it was that he could also write so profoundly and convincingly these words: "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing" (1 Cor. 13:1-3).


Concerning all that he possessed and learned before "the love of God was shed abroad in his heart by the Holy Ghost," Paul said: "But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith." (Philip. 3:7-9) Previously, he had a ton-load of theological learning shed abroad in his mind by Gamaliel and by his studies; now he had "the love of God shed abroad in his heart by the Holy Ghost," and it was the latter that he determined to keep at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment