Monday, September 20, 2021

HOW AN OLD ATHEISTIC CAPTAIN CAST ANCHOR IN A SAFE HARBOR

HOW AN OLD ATHEISTIC CAPTAIN CAST ANCHOR IN A SAFE HARBOR

I was in the Soldiers' Home at Eric, Pa. I had spoken to the old soldiers in the chapel. As I came down from the platform, the gentleman said to me:

"There is one room I want not to visit. We have had in this institution the captain of the old Merrimac. He came into this institution an atheist. He never would come into the services, and when he was asked to read the Bible, he just scorned the thought of it. When he was in his room here, before he died, I brought in a Bible and said, 'Captain, would you like to read this Bible?' and he scorned the proposition; it looked as though it was useless to say anything more to him. But I said: 'Suppose you read the Bible and see whether there is anything in it that you could believe, and if there is not, you tell me so. But as you read, whenever you find anything that you think you might receive, suppose you mark it with red ink.' He thought that was a good way to prove there was nothing in the Bible for him. I had him begin with the Gospel of John. He read two chapters without marking anything. He began on the third chapter and read fifteen verses without being moved. He began on the sixteenth verse, and then the old captain marked the verse red. He could receive a text like that."

By this time we had reached the room where the old captain had died a few weeks before and there was the pasteboard anchor the old man had cut out for himself, and the words were his own, printed in red ink, "I have cast anchor in a safe harbor." The very floor seemed to be like holy ground. They sent his Bible home, but they tell me you would have a hard time to find a page without red on it. He had come to receive the whole book. That is the work of the spirit. His work was just that. The old captain would have nothing to do with a minister, and he would have nothing to do with a person who spoke of Jesus Christ; he didn't want to have anything to do with Christ. It was the work of the Holy Ghost. -- "Modern Day Parables," hdm0072, by J. Wilbur Chapman

No comments:

Post a Comment