Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Years Day Review

BLJ: On the beginning of the New Year, consider the below stories and challenge yourself to go deeper and more committed to God in 2020.

At The Coming In Of The Year...
 THOMAS WALSH REVIEWED HIS PREVIOUS YEAR, 1750

"At the close of this last day of the year I examined myself how I had lived the past year; and could only say, I had not wickedly departed from my God: but was heartily ashamed that I had not glorified Him better, resolving to watch for the time to come." Thomas Walsh was one of John Wesley's early followers -- a man who was sanctified wholly and who advocated the Wesleyan doctrine of entire sanctification as a second, definite work of grace. This excerpt is from hdm0377, "The Lives Of Early Methodist Preachers, Chiefly Written By Themselves" Edited by Thomas Jackson

In regard to reviewing the previous year, James Caughey wrote: "As these calendars are of use to the end of the year, so is the record of our past religious feelings to the end of life. Who would cast away his almanac when only the half of the year has expired? -- hdm0937, "Revival Miscellanies" by James Caughey

The coming in of the New Year is often preceded by a time at the close of the Old Year wherein earnest Christians review the past, and particularly the past twelve months of their lives.

JOHN S. INSKIP RECORDED HIS CONSECRATION

According to Edward Gibbon in his "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire," the oath of service and fidelity to the emperor was annually renewed by the troops on the first of January. Below, we read of the fidelity of John S. Inskip to the King of kings:

"Monday Jan. 1, 1866. -- Upon returning from meeting, I feel that before retiring to rest I must record my consecration. I am devoutly thankful to God for His many mercies during the year that has passed away. I praise Him that He has enabled me to continue in the way of faith. If spared, I intend to live nearer to Jesus. Afresh I dedicate myself to the service of God. I give to Him my little all, and solemnly declare that I am and will be forever the Lord's. All my faculties and powers -- my life, influence, substance, and reputation, I renewedly devote to God, and declare that henceforth I will love and glorify Him forever. I will labor to promote His glory, and trust in Him for grace to guide, comfort, and support me. I again, and, if possible, in a fuller sense than ever, consecrate to Him all I have and am. My wife, home, and all, I give to Thee, O Lord, to be Thine. In testimony of which I hereunto affix my hand and seal, on this the first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-six. -- hdm0131, "Life Of Rev. John S. Inskip" by William McDonald and John E. Searles

BLJ: How is your oath of service?

A TITHING FARMER WAS PROTECTED FROM POTATO BUGS

The following story was once related to George Douglas Watson, after the farmer's pastor said to him: "Tell Brother Watson about these potatoes, great big luscious potatoes of which we were partaking." The farmer said:

"Well, I got saved about eight years ago and began to tithe all my crops. Last year, at the beginning of the year, the potato bugs were terrible in our community. I prayed about it and said, Now, Father, Thou knowest I am Thine entirely. All I have is Thine, wife, children, horses, cattle and potatoes. Now, rebuke the bugs; take care of my crop.

"The farm adjoining mine on one side was literally devoured. The man expected one hundred bushels of potatoes and had only three bushels. The man on the other side had only five bushels. My place was right in between these two farms, which were devoured by potato bugs and I did not see a bug in my patch. We had potatoes in abundance and peddled around loads of God's potatoes to poor folks, widows and preachers. I put God to a test and He has proved to me He will rebuke the potato bugs." -- hdm0561, "How To Attract Prosperity" by John Marvin Hames

HE WAS SAVED AFTER THE DANCE

Paul Brodbeck relates the following story:

In the spring of 1837 we moved to Portsmouth, Ohio. I commenced going to the Methodist church with my wife, and gradually became attached to their doctrine and modes of worship; but at the same time I was very fond of the ball-room and the dance.

On the evening of the 31st of December, 1837, we had a great ball in town, and at the same time the Methodists held a watch-night meeting. After spending the forepart of the night at the ball-room, dancing, suddenly something seemed to say to me, "The Methodists hold a watch-night, and you must go and see what they are doing." Accordingly I left the ball-room about nine o'clock, and went to the church and heard a sermon by Rev. Henry Turner, then preacher in charge of Bigelow Chapel. I listened with great attention, but could not hear any thing that -- as I then thought -- suited my case. At the close of the sermon the minister descended from the pulpit, came into the altar, and invited all seekers of religion to come forward and kneel around the altar for the prayers of the Church, and seek the salvation of their souls.

While some were going forward for prayer and some were joining the Church, my conscience told me, "You must go, for you are a great sinner, or you will be eternally lost." Immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood, but yielded to the convictions of the moment, went forward, joined the Church, and threw myself down at the altar, and prayed and wrestled like Jacob of old, till nearly twelve o'clock at night, when, by the grace of God, I was enabled to shout "glory," having obtained redemption through the blood of Christ, even the forgiveness of my sins. My wife all this time thought I was at the ball-room; and when I came home and told her what the Lord had done for me, she also shouted to God for his great mercy. -- hdm2028, "Experience Of German Methodist Preachers" by Adam Miller

Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment