Tuesday, February 9, 2021

A Sad Story

SAD STORY
|
"Be ye also ready, for in such an hour as ye
think not, the Son of man cometh" (Matthew 24:44).
|
     I am presently digitizing "He Leadeth Me," by Early Methodist, Edward Davies, who was born in 1830. Born in England, he came to America and worked in the northeast.     
Following a number of very remarkable instances in which God used him in saving precious souls, we find this very different account, which he titles, "A Sad Story" -- DVM
|
     There was one dark dispensation at Pownal, Maine that always pains my soul. There was a dear boy whose praying mother had gone to heaven, and whose praying father had tried to bring him up in the fear of the Lord. I talked with him about being a Christian and pressed him faithfully to give his heart to God. He frankly said, 'If I should experience religion, they would laugh me out of it in a week.'
     How sad to have such company. While his father was gone from home, he and his brother strayed away for miles to an auction. Coming home hungry and tired, they found a turnip field. They eat heartily of the turnips, and in Charlie's case it was a fatal meal. They never passed his bowels. Inflammation set in, medical skill was baffled, and poor Charlie was near eternity before I knew he was sick. I hastened to the house, and his father conducted me to his bed; already his legs and arms were cold and could not be warmed.
     His conversation was still on worldly things, about going to a party a few months ahead with his old associates; not a thought about death or a preparation. Father says, 'Charlie, Brother Davies has called to see you and is going to pray for you. What shall he pray for?' 'Oh, pray that I may get better.'
     I bowed before God and prayed with all my heart that God would spare his life till he saved his soul. I had to go some six miles to a lecture that night, but sent for Mrs. Davies to come and stay with the afflicted family. I hastened back, hoping to see him alive, at least, but alas! alas! cruel death had done his work before I reached the house.
     Just before he died he woke up and cried out, 'O father, I am dying!' 'Are you prepared?' said the dear, old man who had prayed so long for him. 'No,' said the dying boy, and it is to be feared that the dear boy passed the bounds of probation, and entered the world of destiny all unprepared.
     Wife says that his eyes looked so wild and his countenance so fearful, that they all stood back almost in horror, and the dear old father had to go up and close those eyes.
     The Lord deliver me from ever attending another such funeral. There sat his wicked associates, and not a tear did they shed over him who said, 'If he had religion, they would laugh him out of it in a week.' Let my youthful readers keep away from all such company as would not rejoice to have you become Christians. 'Evil communications corrupt good manners'; 'A companion of fools shall be destroyed'; 'My son, if sinners entice thee consent thou not' (1 Corinthians 15:33; Proverbs 13:20, and Proverbs 1:10)!
     I secured a good gravestone for Charlie's grave, and had it placed where all could read, 'Be ye also ready, for in such an hour as ye think not, the Son of man cometh' (Matthew 24:44)!


No comments:

Post a Comment