Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Why He Wouldn't Sell His Bible

 WHY HE WOULDN'T SELL IT

From the March 1858 Issue of
The Primitive Methodist Magazine

"Will you sell me that Bible?" said the keeper of a lodging-house, in the town of Warrington, to a boy of thirteen years of age, whose father and mother had died in one day of typhus fever, who had traveled on foot in company with his younger brother all the way from London, in search of their uncle, who was supposed to reside in Liverpool.

"You have neither money nor meat," said the lodging-house keeper "and I will give you five shillings for that Bible, pointing to a pocket Bible which the boy carried in his little bundle, and which had been given him at the Sabbath-school.

"No," replied the boy, while tears rolled down his cheeks, "I will starve first, the Bible has been my support all the way from London; hungry and weary, I have often sat down by the way-side to read it, and found refreshment."

He then was asked, "What will you do, if, when you get to Liverpool, your uncle refuse to take you in?"

He replied, "My Bible tells me, 'when my father and mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up.'" by Thomas Parr.

No comments:

Post a Comment