Saturday, February 20, 2021

How They Were Sanctified Part 4

BISHOP ASBURY'S TESTIMONY TO SALVATION AND HOLINESS


[After having read a number of writings by and about Francis Asbury, and having been heretofore disappointed in not finding a clear testimony by him to his entire sanctification, I was pleased this afternoon to come upon what, to my knowledge, may be the most direct testimony of Asbury that may be found to the second work of grace. I have compiled the following quotations from that portion of Sandford's book containing the "Memoirs of Francis Asbury, Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church. -- DVM]


I was born in Old England, near the foot of Hampstead Bridge, in the parish of Hansworth, about four miles from Birmingham, in Staffordshire, and, according to the best of my after-knowledge, on the 20th or 21st day of August, in the year of our Lord 1745.


On a certain time when we were praying in my father's barn, I believe the Lord pardoned my sins, and justified my soul; but my companions reasoned me out of this belief, saying, "Mr. Mather said a believer was as happy as if he was in heaven." I thought I was not as happy as I would be there, and gave up my confidence, and that for months; yet I was happy; free from guilt and fear, and had power over sin, and felt great inward joy. After this, we met for reading and prayer, and had large and good meetings, and were much persecuted, until the persons at whose houses we held them were afraid, and they were discontinued. I then held meetings frequently at my father's house, exhorting the people there, as also at Sutton-Cofields, and several souls professed to find peace through my labours. I met class a while at Bromwick-Heath, and met in band at Wednesbury. I had preached some months before I publicly appeared in the Methodist meeting-houses: when my labours became more public and extensive, some were amazed, not knowing how I had exercised elsewhere. Behold me now a local preacher; the humble and willing servant of any and of every preacher that called on me by night or by day, being ready, with hasty steps, to go far and wide to do good, visiting Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, and indeed almost every place within my reach for the sake of precious souls; preaching, generally, three, four, and five times a week, and at the same time pursuing my calling. I think, when I was between twenty-one and twenty-two years of age [1766-67] I gave myself up to God and his work, after acting as a local preacher near the space of five years. [This dates Asbury's conversion at about the year 1761 when he was 16 years of age. -- DVM]


Some time after I had obtained a clear witness of my acceptance with God, the Lord showed me, in the heat of youth and youthful blood, the evil of my heart: for a short time I enjoyed, as I thought, the pure and perfect love of God; but this happy frame did not long continue, although, at seasons, I was greatly blessed. [One can but speculate the date and age of Asbury when he was apparently first sanctified. However, from this data, his first sanctification seems to have occurred some time between 1761 and 1767 and between his 16th and 22nd years of age. -- DVM]


On the 7th of August, 1771, the conference began at Bristol, in England. Before this, I had felt for half a year strong intimations in my mind that I should visit America; which I laid before the Lord, being unwilling to do my own will, or to run before I was sent.


Monday, March 1 [1779]. I have of late, for the most part, had liberty in preaching, and the Spirit of the Lord has been with me: and from my various and peculiar exercises, I am strongly impressed with a persuasion that the Lord is preparing me for future services. But alas! what cause for shame, on account of my great unfaithfulness. This present life may be well compared to a tempestuous ocean: sometimes the fair wind of prosperity blows a fresh gale; at other times the cross wind of adversity rages and threatens a hurricane. How difficult it is, in the midst of such opposing diversity, to pay proper attention to the divine compass, and still pursue the right course.


On Friday I was inclined to believe, that the night before [Thursday, March 4, 1779] the Lord had re-sanctified my soul. It afforded me much comfort ; and I was ready to conclude it had been so for many years past, if I had maintained and believed it. But I fear I have been too slack in urging both myself and others diligently to seek the experience of this great and blessed gift. May the Lord help me from this time to live free from outward and inward sin, always maintaining the spirit of the gospel in meekness, purity, and love.


[The fact that Asbury above spoke of this experience as his "re-sanctification" indicates that he believed that he had been sanctified in his youth. Further, he dates his "re-sanctification" as March 4, 1779, making him 34 years of age when he was re-sanctified. Search where you will, I know of no other account where Asbury gives a more straightforward testimony to entire sanctification than is recorded in this place. In all other accounts, so far as I am aware, you will find nothing more than allusions to the experience -- allusions from which one may deduce that Asbury claimed the experience, but still, only allusions, and not direct testimonies. I am of the opinion that he may have, in fact, had the experience from the time of his youth. He certainly lived a sanctified life, and it is good to find this testimony among Asbury's writings. -- DVM]


Source: "Mr. Wesley's Missionaries to America," By P. P. Sandford

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I would venture that Asbury's conversion was earlier, in the year 1759. (Age 14). There is an account I came across and which I dramatized in my book on Asbury. He and William Emery pray together in Asbury's father's barn over what Asbury experienced earlier in the day when attending the preaching of the Scottish itinerant, Pastor Alexander Mather. I put Asbury's words here below: "Almighty Father, today I have received such blessing, blessing more than I can fathom. Today a sinner was brought near to You. So near to You that I am forever changed. I thank You for this overwhelming privilege."

    For more on Asbury's early years in England, I recommend my book, Black Country. It is the only treatment in existence of those years before he departs for the American Colonies in 1771. www.francisasburytriptych.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His is an article on Asbury's Childhood friends which I wrote on My Methodist History Website, https://www.mymethodisthistory.org.uk/people-2/methodist_ministers/francis_asbury_and_related_topics/francis_asbury_and_his_childhood_friends
    Although William Emery is not listed here, Asbury's closest friends who started a Methodist Band are.

    ReplyDelete