Sunday, January 16, 2022

1-16-2022 Devotion: Your words.

 Genesis 27: 33: "Then Isaac trembled exceedingly, and said, 'Who? Where is the one who hunted game and brought it to me? I ate all of it before you came, and I have blessed him--and indeed he shall be blessed.'" To set the context, Isaac is old with bad eyesight. He sends Esau, his oldest son, out to hunt for game to make his favorite meal. Rebekah, his wife, hears the plans. She likes the younger son Jacob better. She cooks the meal and sends Jacob to lie about who he is. Isaac, being old and blind, thinks he is talking to Esau and blesses him. When Esau shows up with a second meal, the lie is discovered. Isaac says essentially, "I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do. I have given him the primary blessing." The point is the power of words. Words have power, even when they are spoken in response to a deception. We need to be very mindful of the words we speak. Jesus said we would give an account of every idle word spoken. Be wise in your speech.

1 comment:

  1. WHOA! That will cause me to do a Double Take.
    I thank you for those Words.
    Hope all is well, would love to chat some time.
    Love and Peace to you brother.

    ReplyDelete