Monday, January 17, 2022

1-17-2022 Devotion: God is bigger than our responses.

 Genesis 28: 20-21: "Then Jacob made a vow, saying, 'If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on, so that I come back to my father's house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God.' The point here is that Abraham responded to God's calling him with an unconditional surrender to the will of God. Abraham was prepared to sacrifice his beloved son Issac. God gives Jacob a dream that reaffirms His promises that He had given to Abraham. However, Jacob's response was conditional. His dedication was conditioned on God doing something for him. A much different response from his grandfather Abraham. The point is that God's Sovereign choice in the womb of Jacob over Esau was not based on Jacob's actions or will. God will have His way, even when we respond with a less than favorable response. This comforts me that God is bigger than our responses. His way is perfect, and He will have His way. That comforts me.

No comments:

Post a Comment