Wednesday, June 8, 2022

6-8-2022 Devotion: Promises Day 15

 John 14: 12: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works I do shall he do also; and greater works than these he do; because I go unto my Father." Jesus did not mean greater works in power, but in extent. They would become witnesses to all the world through the power of the indwelling and infilling of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8) and would bring many to salvation because of the Comforter dwelling in them. The focus is on spiritual rather than physical miracles. The book of Acts constitutes the beginning historical record of the impact that the Spirit-empowered disciples had on the world. If you think about it, at the time of the crucifixion, the Lord Jesus Christ was known to very few people. His promise of "greater works" meant that His followers would take the gospel to the entire world. Think about how far the Christian faith has spread. Ponder the martyrs that have died for the gospel. It sickens me when I see "ministers" distort verses like this one to sell the idea that believers could have creative power like our Lord. There have been no creative miracles since the apostles. I remember a few years ago when there was a "revival" in Lakeland, Florida. People were supposedly raised from the dead. All false and it was proven. It ended when the lead evangelist left his wife for a staff member. When the words of the Lord Jesus Christ are understood in context, they are a source of comfort and never disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment