Friday, November 4, 2022

11-4-2022 Devotion: A Promise

 John 14: 18: "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." The Greek word for comfortless is orphanos which means “orphans.” The Lord Jesus is saying that He will not leave us orphans but will come to us in the person of the Holy Spirit and provide comfort and guidance for His children. This small verse has two important points. First, His leaving was not total. “Though I leave you without my bodily presence, yet I do not leave you without comfort.” The Father will send the Holy Spirit to indwell you and help you in this life full of challenges. Second, it is not final. “I will come speedily to you at my resurrection, I will not be long away, but will be with you again in a little time.” “I will be coming daily to you in my Spirit." Our Lord and savior knew the difficulties His church would encounter. He ed the Father to send us the Holy Spirit to help us. That occurred on the Day of Pentecost. Every new believer today is baptized with the Holy Spirit when they become new creations in Christ. There can be many refillings, and there should be, but there is no second act that gives you more of the Holy Spirit. Sanctification is the act of God's grace that makes us more Christlike every day. That is not more of the Holy Spirit, instead it is our working with the Holy Spirit to have Him mold us more into the image of Christ. Don't be deceived by false doctrine.

No comments:

Post a Comment