Tuesday, July 26, 2022

7-26-2022 Devotion: Depart From Evil

 Proverbs 14: 16: "A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident." The last portion of this Proverb can be translated as: "but a fool is hotheaded and yet feels secure." The fear of the Lord causes a wise man to test what he hears. He will not be taken in. He won’t believe what the preacher says just because the preacher says it. He will check what the Word of God says. I want to say to you right now that you should not believe anything I say just because I say it. I am not the oracle of truth; I do not speak ex cathedra; I am not a know-it-all. You test what I say by the Word of God. There is a lot of sweet-sounding speech going out from churches and from the media. The Gospel has been watered down to such a point that it is my opinion that it is difficult for someone to get saved today, but for the Sovereign act of God. My reader friend, don’t believe everything you hear. Test it by the Word of God. Then, if it doesn't match up to the Word of God, leave it where you find it. This might be a person, a preacher, a church, or a business. However, that does not include your spouse. The Bible gives specific instructions for that situation. Be wise and leave evil when you find it. Don't be a hothead. That leads to a false security. Only the Word of God is perfect security.

No comments:

Post a Comment