Faith Looks to the Cross
Scripture: John 19:30 (KJV)
"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished..."
Personal Reflection
Nothing exposes the seriousness of unbelief more clearly than the cross of Christ. At Calvary we see both the justice of God against sin and the immeasurable love of God toward sinners. Christ bore the punishment that guilty people deserved so that everyone who believes in Him might receive eternal life.
The cross leaves humanity with only two responses. Either we bow before Christ in repentance and faith, or we reject God's gracious provision and remain under condemnation. There is no middle ground.
The believer never graduates beyond the cross. Every day we return there in grateful remembrance. There we find forgiveness for fresh failures, assurance for troubled consciences, strength for daily obedience, and hope for eternity.
Unbelief says, "I will trust myself." Faith says, "Nothing in my hands I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling."
The more clearly we see Christ crucified, the less attractive the world becomes. The cross humbles our pride, silences our boasting, and fills our hearts with grateful worship.
Contemplation
Am I daily looking to Christ's finished work, or am I relying upon my own efforts?
Puritan Quote
John Flavel wrote:
"Christ is the very marrow of the gospel."
Prayer
Lord Jesus, keep my eyes fixed upon Your cross. Let me never lose my wonder at the price You paid for my redemption. Amen.
Application
Read Isaiah 53 slowly today and thank Christ for bearing your sins upon the cross.
No comments:
Post a Comment