Wednesday, March 15, 2023

3-15-2023 Devotion: Don't Understand

 Romans 7: 15: "For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate." Have you ever felt like Paul did? When he says he didn't "understand," he was not referencing the facts of what he had done, but rather the word was sometimes used to express approving or accepting. This means Paul found himself doing things he did not approve of. The verbs are first person present tense. This means that Paul is talking about things occurring in actual time. He was not speaking of a time before he was converted. He is talking about at the time of his writing the book of Romans. If we are honest with ourselves, we will admit that, like Paul, we do things we don't approve of. There is a reason when the Lord Jesus Christ was teaching His disciples to pray, it included the words, "forgive us our debts." He was not talking about a financial balance sheet. He was talking about daily seeking forgiveness and repentance from all wrongdoing. This verse encourages me to be very honest with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I know I fall short of His Divine Perfection every day. I'm thankful Paul was inspired to write today's passage. It encourages me to live a life of daily repentance and seeking forgiveness. I think Paul did as well and that gives me hope to keep pressing closer to our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment