Friday, September 2, 2022

9-2-2022 Devotion: Call

 Psalm 4: 1: "Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer." The imperative verbs in this verse show the boldness of the psalmist in prayer. He can fearlessly call on God because he knows that God is his righteousness. Distress indicates pressure—the pressures of our lives are great. They are great in our day, e.g. worldly influence on the church, inflation, wars, etc. and we need the encouragement that we find in the Word of God. “The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth”. Again we read, “And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.” In the book Isaiah, God tells us, “And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.” Another passage in Psalms says, “He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.” The Bible is just filled with these wonderful promises. The cry of the psalmist in Psalm 4 is that God be with him. No matter what you are facing, today's verse provides you a recipe to successfully deal with stress. The Word encourages us to be bold in prayer. Call upon Him and receive mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment