Friday, September 30, 2022

9-30-2022 Devotion: More Prayer

 We continue our study of some devotional writings from Andrew A Bonar. Bonar (1810-1882) was a minister in the United Kingdom. His devotional writings are very special to me. Today, we look at more on prayer. "Let us seek to be delivered from trifling prayers, and contentment with trifling answers." "I was living very grossly, namely, labouring night and day in visiting, with very little prayerfulness. I did not see that prayer should be the main business of every day." "Prayer, prayer, prayer, must be more a business than it has been." According to a Barna study, the average Christian prays one (1) minute a day and the average pastor prays five (5) minutes a day. With that information, are you surprised that the church is in the condition it is today? Are you surprised that there is no revival for souls? When I was a full time pastor and a husband and a wife came for counseling over a troubled marriage, I would begin the session with prayer. Then, I would look directly at the husband and ask, "How long do you pray for your wife every day?" Then, I would do the same with the wife. What I consistently discovered was that the spouses were not praying for their partners much at all. I would counsel them to pray for their spouses with their spouses present. Surprisingly, the people who followed the advice experienced a revival in their marriage of love and closeness. Simply put, we need to pray more.

No comments:

Post a Comment