Thursday, May 12, 2022

5-12-2022 Devotion: Categories of Prayer

 Today, we begin looking at the categories of prayer. When discussing categories of prayer, one must guard against the creation of legalistic classifications. In a time of prayer one might find themselves flowing across all the divisions as set forth in this section. Not only would such an approach be acceptable, it should be encouraged. I remember watching Michael Jordan dribble a basketball full court and do an amazing dunk. As he would do so, he would not be thinking “right foot left foot right foot left foot.” He would be moving toward the goal appearing to have no identifiable pattern except to stay within the rules. After the principles are learned, the one seeking God in prayer would move toward the goal of communication with the Father without an identifiable method. The first category is:

1. A Prayer of Consecration: This type of prayer is a prayer of dedication. I don't know all the things that tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow in His hands. I trust His holding and therefore I can pray: "Lord, I commit my tomorrows into your hands. I trust you completely and I want my will to become your will. I want your perfect will in my life. I am Yours regardless of what comes my way." This prayer is a prayer of trust for the uncertainties of tomorrow. In this type of prayer, it is appropriate to pray "if it be Thy will," I shall be a missionary; a minister, or whatever You want me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment