Tuesday, October 18, 2022

10-18-2022 Devotion: Election

 John 6: 37: "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." God leads to faith all whom He plans to redeem. The redemption of the elect is certain. The Son promises acceptance to anyone who truly believes. There is a theological tension that theologians argue today on election or free will. Are we chosen by God or do we come to God on our own? There are some people who put all their eggs in the basket of election. There are others who put all their eggs in the basket of free will. Election and free will are both in this verse. “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me” states a truth, and that is election. But wait a minute! “And him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out” is also true, and “him that cometh to me” is free will. It may be difficult to reconcile them, but they are both true. Someone may ask, “You mean that if I’m not the elect I can still come?” My friend, if you come, you will be the elect. That is what really matters. No one who comes to Him, will He cast away. That is my type of election.

No comments:

Post a Comment