Tuesday, January 3, 2023

1-3-2023 Devotion: Carnal

 Today, I want to expose the false teaching of a "carnal Christian." There is some confusion when1 Corinthians 3: 1-3 is misinterpreted: "And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?" Some argue that there are three classes of people: natural (unsaved), spiritual (saved) and carnal (saved but living like they are unsaved). This is a dangerous heresy in my opinion. There are only two categories of people: natural and spiritual. We will spend a few days on this subject. Look at Ezekiel 36: 25-27: "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." I want you to notice that there are two aspects of salvation described: forgiveness and a new heart. The "carnal Christian" error believes you can have forgiveness without a new heart, that is you can act like you did when you were unsaved. When you are saved, you receive forgiveness from your blood substitute, and you also receive a new heart that loves holiness and hates sin. More to come on this important topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment